Deciding which book you're gonna read next

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
VoraciousReader

Deciding which book you're gonna read next

Post by VoraciousReader » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:30 am

How do you decide which book you are going to read next.
Podcasts, reviews, sites, book clubs or something else.

Booklover
Retired Moderator

Re: Deciding which book you're gonna read next

Post by Booklover » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:05 am

Reviews on Goodreads and my mood for the day.
“He therefore turned to mankind only with regret. His cathedral was enough for him. It was peopled with marble figures of kings, saints and bishops who at least did not laugh in his face and looked at him with only tranquillity and benevolence".

#Linguist #French #Heartisbleeding

sniksnak
Site Admin

Post by sniksnak » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Pretty much as BL does. I'm a Prime Amazon member, plus a member of Goodreads, so I get reviews from both sites.

I must admit I go in genre jags. I'll read half a dozen true crime or psycho-thrillers, then switch to something like fables or animal tales. Right now I'm in a Holocaust survivor mode. Usually when I read a bunch of heavy real-life situations, I'll switch over to something much lighter. I'm not much into romance or cozy mysteries, but I'll delve into a couple back-to-back after reading about the darker side of humanity, both in fiction and non-fiction.
I'm a bibliophile, ailurophile, cynophilist, and taphophile from the Deep South, USA.
"People can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned." ~ Saul Bellow, Canadian-American Writer

oel_3

Post by oel_3 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:10 pm

I read based on my mood too, and I lean heavily with WWII (both Fiction and Nonfiction) and Children's Books.

julie dee scott

Post by julie dee scott » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 am

Being a high school friend of Suse's and a neighbor of hers and Craig's for over 20 years I read mostly what she reads. I still belong to her book club at her church (my former church). Though I live about mile from the Mexican border I can attend the meetings each month thanks to internet technology. My husband is retired Army, now working for the US Border Patrol, so I also read many novels about the military, law enforcement, and almost anything Texan since I'm Texas born. Moved to Louisiana the summer between the 8th and 9th grades. She was the first friend I made and have kept the longest. Suse reads much more non-fiction than I do, though I like novels written by authors who know about our military branches and border patrol law enforcement. Nothing makes me madder than a hornet when reading about either by someone who doesn't have a clue about what he or she is writing about - from tactics to weaponry. I also read many fiction and non-fiction books about animals, especially horses, dogs and cats.

Conradf2019

Post by Conradf2019 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm

For me it’s something that depends on my mood at the time rather than looking at book lists.
I’m mostly into fantasy novels but will dip into sci-fi from time to time.

asolitaryblue

Post by asolitaryblue » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:24 am

It depends on my mood but I do try to read an "improving" book once a week. By "improving', I mean non-fiction (mostly science or history but also books on Buddhism, mindfulness, happiness and philosophy). I'm a big fan of historical romance, YA, fantasy and mystery/detective stories so I devour those but I do try to read other fiction book which have received good reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, in order to expand taste in books.
There is no Frigate like a Book to take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page of prancing Poetry
This Traverse may the poorest take without oppress of Toll
How frugal is the Chariot that bears the Human Soul

-Emily Dickinson

vatvu1

Post by vatvu1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:02 am

I struggle so hard because I always have my eye on a number of books I want to REALLY read next so it's a struggle on what I will pick up next. I also do this very silly thing that, if I'm very excited about a book, it's the last book I'll pick up. It's dumb and I don't know why I do it.

Heidi
Hunter

Post by Heidi » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 am

I usually always look at the Goodreads rating now - odd times I have loved a book which has a low rating and have read the book only because I like the author (so it may very well be the case that I miss some real gems with low ratings) - but on the whole, I do agree with the general consensus on Goodreads. The only exception if find is that a lot of YA books have a much higher rating than I would typically give them.
Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind. - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1605)

siberian202angel

Post by siberian202angel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:33 am

I have my favorite authors, so I can grab anything of them any day.
As a Goodreads member I am also reliant on their recommendations of new books and other readers' favorites - I have found many splendid books this way, books I might not have read otherwise.
My mood also plays a part ... I have chick lit days and I have thriller days or historical fiction days. I have so many books on my to-be-read pile and I usually curate that pile to align with my general interests - I rarely find bad apples.
My interests are rather broad and I always try to expand my horizons and dip into genres I'm not usually a fan of. Though not YA anymore, that ship has sailed for me...

Sami

Post by Sami » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:41 pm

It's a constant struggle for me, sometimes I debate with myself for days deciding which! LOL what's wrong with me! :lol:
I met the man of my dreams last night... in chapter five :lol:

Tooterkins

Post by Tooterkins » Sat May 04, 2019 6:11 pm

I randomly pick a book and then go to Goodreads to check out the reviews. My rule of thumb is that the book has to have a 4 or 5 star rating from a minimum of 5 of my top Goodreads friends. I also try to keep it interesting by going between fiction, nonfiction, old book, current book, etc. That works well for me.
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read".

Mark Twain

jeffrey

Post by jeffrey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:10 am

I’m usually in the mood for a particular genre. My first move is to check if other books are available by authors in that genre that I’ve enjoyed. There’s usually enough of that to find something. If not I’ll look at places like Goodreads or even B&N and Amazon to see what the most popular books in that genre are (not just currently but even all time or the past few years).
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” -C.S. Lewis

Thank you to everyone here that contributes to my love for the words on a page (or on a screen :D)

ntayeba

Post by ntayeba » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 pm

For the most part I usually look in the fulfilled books section in the ebook requests 😂 I tend to avoid reality as much as I can, so I go for fiction. Aside from that, I get books recommended from my friends :)