The Martian - Book vs. Movie?

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The Martian - Book vs. Movie?

Unread post by siberian202angel »

Hey everyone!
I absolutely loved Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, but I haven't yet read his first, The Martian.

I am looking for suggestions what to start on, book or movie.
In general, I tend to check out both. However, if a film is sub-par, it usually takes me a long time to pick up the book, if at all. Has anyone seen the movie and/or read the book and can give me suggestions on which to approach first? :D
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
"There was death at its beginning, as there would be death again at its end."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you fail, you'll land among the stars."
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Martian - Book vs. Movie?

Unread post by AddictedToReading »

It's so worth the read. The movie and book are both very different in a lot of ways.....the book does expand on more things and some things wasn't in the book...

I believe reading the book will give you more insight into the characters and depth of the plot......

Lol if I don't like the movie I rarely read the book......
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What I thought, with the book being more detailed and offering more depth...
So far, I haven't heard anyone speak bad about the movie, but not many people in my circle of friends have actually read the book itself, which is why I'm looking for a broader opinion of fellow readers.
AddictedToReading wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:53 am Lol if I don't like the movie I rarely read the book......
Well, I keep dragging me feet... Sometimes I think it's a tad bit unfair to the writer, as it's usually not entirely his fault if some hotshot director butchered the material. I keep thinking of Eragon, for example - I adored the books, but the movie was a spectacular fail.
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
Par
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Par »

Book. Definitely. Movie was okay. Book was great. Only once that I can remember has a movie been as good as the book and that was Nick Hornby's "About a Boy", movie was with Hugh Grant and a very young Nicholas Hoult.

Oh, and I guess I should add The Godfather, but I think Mario Puzo also wrote the script for the movie, so didn't feel the need, as so many scriptwriters do, of adding their own spin.
JellyBelly

Unread post by JellyBelly »

Both. I enjoyed the movie only because The Martian is my favorite book of all time (and I am old). I am generally not fond of watching movies. Nor am I fond of science fiction (which I guess The Martian is).
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It is good to know that The Martian appeals to even those who do not read much SciFi - which definitely goes for me. I guess I will read the book first and then watch the movie at some later stage when it's shown on TV...