What is your reading language of choice?

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
Sashay

What is your reading language of choice?

Unread post by Sashay »

After seeing how a few of us are non-native English speakers in an English book community, I though about this question.

In my case, I try to read books in their original language whenever possible. Many of them are written in English (even by non-natives). On top of that, most translations from languages I do not speak (Korean, for example) are only translated into English (at least until the book gains more popularity). Whenever a translation is available in both English and my native language, I gravitate towards English nonetheless.

Thus, in my "read" list, these are the languages to be found: English, followed by my native language, followed by other languages I speak.

What about you?? There's no need to disclose your native language 💞
hecatereads

Re: What is your reading language of choice?

Unread post by hecatereads »

I'm probably gonna be put to shame by my fellow countrymen but oh well, haha. English is one of the official languages in my country so *shrugs*. Even so, I do not consider myself fluent in that language (and even my mother tongue, do not make me explain please. Hahaha), but I prefer reading English literature. :)
Apologies. I'll be back by June or July 2022. By then, I might be able to juggle life by then. Lol.
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by AddictedToReading »

:mrgreen: I also prefer English - my native language books are so corny lol its as if there are no imagination - I only read online news in my native language

:roll: We do have 11 official languages
If you download books, please consider
becoming a supporter
:D - Thanks everyone, this site would not be able to survive without the continuous support of members like you

Donate Here Image
Flyer

Unread post by Flyer »

Gotta say I live in that country with 11 official languages :).

I basically read in English, but do read a lot of books translated from other languages into English.
I also read online articles in one of the other languages of my country.
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by siberian202angel »

My native language is German (I'm an expat living abroad), but frankly, about 97% of what I read is English. Basically, I only pick up a book in German if it hasn't been translated (which happens very rarely). All of my favorite authors are either American or British and I very much prefer to read in the original language.

It happened a few times (and because I was curious) that I read the original English and translated German simultaneously ... it absolutely baffled me how many liberties so many translators took with the material and plenty of translations sounded plain weird. For example, there was a wordplay on Austria vs. Australia in one book, but the humor fell absolutely flat when translated to the German words Österreich and Australien because those sound nothing alike.
I'm also the first to admit that German sounds harsh in comparison to English, lacking in the emotional department (if that makes sense).
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
"There was death at its beginning, as there would be death again at its end."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you fail, you'll land among the stars."
Sashay

Unread post by Sashay »

siberian202angel wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:41 am It happened a few times (and because I was curious) that I read the original English and translated German simultaneously ... it absolutely baffled me how many liberties so many translators took with the material and plenty of translations sounded plain weird.
This is why I prefer reading books in their original language. Sometimes the authors themselves will be able to translate their books and in those cases the translation is very accurate; but even then, some plays on words may be lost because sounds are important. The overall effect may be lost.

That being said, I really appreciate the work of translators and the fact that I am able to read books from all languages in the world. As of today, I have read 5 books in 2021 translated into English from other languages I can't speak for the life of me, one of which I loved so much I bought its hardcover edition.