Your Pets and Covid-19

Chat about anything non-ebook.
sniksnak
Former Staff

Your Pets and Covid-19

Unread post by sniksnak »

Most of y'all know I have a slew of cats and dogs. I've gotten a dozen+ PMs from companion animal members who have had concerns regarding pets and Covid-19. Instead of PMing individual PMs to each member who has questions, I will post a brochure I requested from my critters' vets.

Q: Can you get the new coronavirus from your pet?
A: No; there is currently no evidence for this.
One of the most common questions we’re hearing from many pet parents is “can I catch the virus from my pet or vice versa?”
Both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization have advised that there is no evidence at this time that companion animals can spread the virus, nor have they received any reports of pets or other animals becoming ill from COVID-19.
As we learn more, we will share that information with you.
There is no reason whatsoever to take measures against companion animals that may compromise their welfare or erode the bond you have with your four-legged loved ones.

Q: What if I get COVID-19 and have to be quarantined?
A: Stock up on essential supplies for you and your pet to last 2-4 weeks.
While pets do not appear to be at risk of this disease, you should create a plan of action for yourself and your pets in case of an emergency situation. COVID-19 is a great reminder to create that plan now if you haven’t already developed one.
If you need to quarantine, make sure you have a supply of the following items that lasts 2-4 weeks:
  • Food and water (don't forget treats)
  • Prescription and preventive medications (don’t forget flea and tick, heartworm)
  • Emergency and hygiene supplies
Q: How do I care for my pets if I get sick?
A: Designate someone to care for them, wash your hands before and after contact, and don’t kiss or hug your pet.
Develop a strategy in case you may not be able to care for your pets. Contact a neighbor, your veterinarian and/or a local boarding facility to secure temporary housing in your time of need.
If you are ill with COVID-19, or other contagious illnesses, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) recommends that you “have another member of your household take care of walking, feeding, and playing with your pet. If you have a service animal, or you must care for your pet, then wear a facemask; don’t share food, kiss, or hug them; and wash your hands before and after any contact with your pet or service animal.”

Q: What if my pet needs to go to the vet while I’m sick?
A: If it’s an emergency, ask a public health official about transport, and alert your veterinarian.
If your pet requires routine care while you are sick (annual exams, vaccinations, elective surgeries or routine monitoring), ask your veterinarian to reschedule to a later date when you are healthy.
If your pet requires immediate or emergency care, contact your local public health official to determine the best course of action to transport your pet to the veterinarian. Alert your veterinarian that you have been ill so they can take effective measures to protect themselves from the possibility of exposure.

Q: I think my pet is ill—what do I do?

A: See your veterinarian.
If your pet shows signs of illness, and they have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, see your veterinarian immediately for a full workup.
According to the AVMA, “currently there is no clinical testing available as of today (3/12/2020) in the United States, but tests and testing capacity are being developed. It is possible that authorization may need to be obtained from a public health or state veterinarian prior to submission of samples. More information on test availability and requirements for submission is expected to be available shortly.”

This is a rapidly developing situation, and we encourage you to follow the CDC and WHO’s websites for further information. Take all of the necessary precautions to stay safe, and have a plan ready for you and your pet.
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
Tooterkins
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Your Pets and Covid-19

Unread post by Tooterkins »

Thanks for this info Suse. I don't have a pet right now but I have plenty of friends who do and will love getting this information. 💛❤️💙💚💜
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read".

Mark Twain
sniksnak
Former Staff

URGENT - PETS NOW TESTING POSITIVE:

March 28, 2020 https://www.foxnews.com/world/cat-in-be ... rus-report
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
Booklover

Unread post by Booklover »

There have only been 3 positive cases so far, luckily. Believe me, every Belgian vet it trying to figure out what happened.
Please respect the admins, moderators, hunters and all the members who are posting books here.
Happy reading!

"Mother" of 2 rescue cats on earth.
"Mother" of one very special cat in heaven. ❤️️ G❤️️
sniksnak
Former Staff

Hong Kong has had 2 previous cases in dogs as well.
Delete = destroy.
sniksnak
Former Staff

Today comes a report that a tiger at the Bronx Zoo in NYC has tested positive (believed to be first positive animal in US), so it's not just the monkeys that can get it in wildlife.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/tiger-b ... oronavirus
Delete = destroy.
oel_3

Unread post by oel_3 »

Thank you for sharing this info, Snik.
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by asolitaryblue »

We've had our first canine case in Sri Lanka yesterday.
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde