How Did You Come Up With Your User Name?

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
sniksnak
Former Staff

How Did You Come Up With Your User Name?

Unread post by sniksnak »

I've seen so many interesting user names these many years on the internet. Some of them are absolutely fascinating and others simply crack me up. My boss in the early 80s had a cat with cork-screw whiskers (not due to the breed - he was a little very old orange tabby; those whiskers were a birth defect) and when we went to computers in the early 80s, his user name was "twisted whiskers" - this was many, many years before the greeting card line came out. To this day, it's still Nelson's user name on the net.

My user name wasn't for the 70s candy bar, Snik Snak, though I have to admit, I loved those things. The Kit Kat bar is close, but it isn't a Snik Snak. If memory serves me correctly, the Kit Kat was first, then Mars decided to make one similar. In hindsight, I believe I only loved them because of the name.

Actually, my own user name is for snicksnack - the name that, as a child, I dubbed bread crumbs and corn chops for the birds and squirrels I fed, and also what I call my pets' treats - hence, why I think I loved the Snik Snak bars so. It was a chocolate candy that spoke my own personal language. 😛

The first provider that hit my area way back in the day was Quantum (eventually becoming America Online, then AOL). My very first computer was a Commodore 64 - I hated it (it wasn't a real computer like I had at work) and just a few months later I bought my first "real" computer - in those days a personal IBM cost $10,000 - $2,000 more than my fully loaded vehicle. Quantum only gave members an 8 character user name field (they called them screen names) back there in 1985. I was determined to use snicksnack. I spent two evenings after work looking at that stupid disk before I decided I could still use the name by dropping the silent Cs, so sniksnak I am and have been for 34 years this month.
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
NGC300
Major eBook Poster
Major eBook Poster

Re: How Did You Come Up With Your User Name?

Unread post by NGC300 »

Used to be my login for the instruments at La Silla.
sniksnak
Former Staff

NGC300 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 pm Used to be my login for the instruments at La Silla.
And here I thought it was for the spiral galaxy.
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
NGC300
Major eBook Poster
Major eBook Poster

Unread post by NGC300 »

sniksnak wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:11 am
NGC300 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 pm Used to be my login for the instruments at La Silla.
And here I thought it was for the spiral galaxy.
You were spot on; we were designated six ciphers, and I chose the easiest one that reflected my professional field.
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by asolitaryblue »

My username comes from the book by Cynthia Voigt, A Solitary Blue. I have always loved that novel since I first read it when I was 8 or 9 years old. I remember I ordered it from the Scholastic Book Club at school and I still have that copy with me, in pretty good shape despite it being over 25 years old. I actually found out only many years later that it's part of a series of books and that the protagonist of this book is in fact not the main character in the book series!

I don't know what about the story drew me. I'm a big fan of fantasy and was so even at that age so I don't know why I ordered that book. I just love the book and re-read it at least once a year and especially when I'm feeling sad or down. Despite how sad it is and it's somewhat bittersweet ending, I feel it always lifts me up.

Anyway, due to my love for this book, it's been my username for a variety of accounts and email addresses and I felt it was extremely appropriate for a book sharing forum.
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde
sniksnak
Former Staff

Sachie, awesome! I recognized the name of the book the day you registered. I have always meant to look up the author. Thanks for reminding me of her name. :)

I bought them in the 80s for my best friend's only daughter. Of course, I had to read them! Before Lisa left for college, she gave them back to me for safe-keeping. I kept them until 11 years later after she had her first child.

After I bought my first Kindle (well, that's not true - my Craig bought and gave my first one as a Christmas gift), I bought the entire 7 book series in digital format as individual books. If you would like them, you know what to do.

Here is the Tillerman Cycle series listing on GR:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41606
Delete = destroy.
Cookie88
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by Cookie88 »

Mine was quite simple or unimaginative, it's the name of my 6 yo shih tzu. I have quite a number of dogs even in the past but this one is quite special. She was there when I was at my lowest and gave me comfort that helped me pulled thru. She has this quirk that she will only eat if I feed her literally although she'll eat by herself if I'm not at home. Spoiled, yes but its more like she's telling that I have to take care of myself so I could take care of her too. Also, she always lay at my side when I read. Its like best chill ever.
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by asolitaryblue »

sniksnak wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:21 pm
After I bought my first Kindle (well, that's not true - my Craig bought and gave my first one as a Christmas gift), I bought the entire 7 book series in digital format as individual books. If you would like them, you know what to do.
LOL! I already did! :D They were some of the first books I requested! I only had the hard copies of Homecoming and Dicey's song besides A Solitary Blue but I finally got to read all the others thanks to this forum and Caoimhe who was kind enough to share them with me.

I love the idea of your friend's daughter now being able to share those books with her child. I look forward to being able to do that with my son too. He's only 3 now but I'm so glad to see he loves stories like me. My favorite time with him is curling up together to read bedtime stories. I look forward to reading him all my favorite books, including A Solitary Blue.
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde
Bizzy

Unread post by Bizzy »

Because i am always a busy bee :))
Tooterkins
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Tooterkins »

Years ago my daughter helped me set up my first email account and she chose Tooterkins as part of that account address. I use it a lot when asked to create a username because it makes me think of her. It's also a variation on my nickname "Tooter" that I've had for 60 years!
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read".

Mark Twain
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by AddictedToReading »

I am going to be dead honest, when I created my account I never thought I would get addicted to this forum and just came up with a boring name. Wow was I surprised to find people like Suse.....

I won the lotto with this forum
If you download books, please consider
becoming a supporter
:D - Thanks everyone, this site would not be able to survive without the continuous support of members like you

Donate Here Image
lynngtx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by lynngtx »

I use the same one for many log ins. It's very boring and just an abbreviation of my full name.
A very interesting thread Suse, and AddictedToReading, you shared that lotto win with me! 😁
With my luck, when my ship comes in, I'll be at the airport
Kharkov

Unread post by Kharkov »

As a teen in the 80's, I got really into wargaming the Eastern Front 42 to 44. And yes, Kharkov was my favorite battle after Kursk. Fine examples of how NOT to use an army (Kursk) and how to use an army (Kharkov).
Well many years have passed & I put gaming behind me but in 2003, I needed to set up an email account of my own (work had given me one based on their server but obviously, when I quit, I lost it) so Kharkov it was.
Ah, nostalgia...
carl.d
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by carl.d »

My user name was simple.. Even a child could work it out :lol:

I have the same user name on all my ebook sites. I have a excellent rep.. (well I hope I do)
Que Será, Será
sniksnak
Former Staff

carl.d wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:27 am I have a excellent rep.. (well I hope I do)
You do, you do, Carl! :D I've been "knowing" this jewel of a guy for about 4-5 years now.
Delete = destroy.