Does anybody even read?

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
serenakho

Re: Does anybody even read?

Unread post by serenakho »

First of all, I am extremely grateful for the sole existence of this forum albeit not sharing much or have participated in the discussion section before.

Generally for me, I would request the maximum amount number of books, given that I have that many on my read list (of which I don't usually have). This is just so I could have it in my Kindle and ready to be read whenever I have the time. But of course, one should not abuse the regulation just for collection purposes, and no I don't believe anyone could read that many books, unless they're just flipping through the pages. So the new 4 books per 24 hours is fair.

Also, I don't know how people find that many titles to read because I am having trouble of looking for new books to read. I tend to stick to the same author if I enjoy one of their books, and after I would have trouble searching for new books. =D
Guys, can I just say how amazing you guys are? Because honestly, you guys are the best. :D
BigH

Unread post by BigH »

Hi, I’m one of those bad apples that was being stupid and wasting the admins time. However, even though I’m getting older and older. I can learn. So for what it’s worth, I apologies for my bad manners to all the board members.
I do have a question. I have several collections that I would like to share. How do I go about doing that?
Thank you :oops:
Cruimh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Cruimh »

I do have a weakness - a form of OCD - If I want to read an author if possible I want to be sure to be able to read all of the series before I start - Rex Wolfe and Erle Stanley Gardner were challenging. Not quite so bad with Agatha Christie. George RR Martin's Game of Thrones has been infuriating, as was waiting for the finish of the Wheel of Time series!
Conradf2019

Unread post by Conradf2019 »

Most sites I use have a set limit, usually around 4-6 books per day. On occasion I have fulfilled large collections that have been requested, but only if I already have them collected.
The only other option i can think of is to use a rewards system like (Removal of mention of another site per Board Rules).
I can usually get through 1 book per week.
LadySonya

Unread post by LadySonya »

:) I've just found out your site and I am so grateful for your kindness in sharing books that otherwise it would be very difficult to me to get them. I am a bookworm and I spend most of my free time reading, I am also a collector and that's why I have been making many requests, in the past I used to buy as many as books as I could but eventually I had to donate most of them because I didn't have much space anymore so that e-books are perfect for me. Some of the books I requested I had already read but I love visiting them again to read my favorite parts or to read them again.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
giumatos

Unread post by giumatos »

I literally just found out this discussion section! I am soooo clueless and horrible in understanding forums!

I will use this space to say that I do read the books I ask and that's why I ask for a few each time. I travel a lot sometimes, so I can read a few pages a day and others I can devour the whole book. And because I am not always with my notebook it's easier to have several books loaded on my phone.

But I wanted to thank everyone here that provide with all the books! I appreciate SO MUCH what you guys do. You all are literal angels!

Also, sorry for past clueless behaviour. I swear it was not intentional.
Deadkat1

Unread post by Deadkat1 »

Well I'm late to the convo, but I understand the reasons for the limit, I'm on a booksharing community on another platform where I sometimes share books. I have quite a collection I'll be happy to share here. Only one issue which has prevented me from doing so until now is the boards reliance on zippyshare which is has multiple pop-ups which often try to download malware automatically, I primarily use my cellphone to share books the current adblock solutions available are limited or simply don't work. Is it possible to allow anonfiles or box.com links. Also a big thank you to all of you sharing here. I look forward to sharing here too.
Heidi

Unread post by Heidi »

Just to answer you question, you can use other sharing links [mention]MsVee[/mention] appears a good medium and the links dont time out the same way as zippyshare - although i havent worked out how to use box in that way yet :)

Edited by sniksnak:
Corrected Mention of MsVee. [mention]Heidi[/mention] When using the Mentions feature, you need to select from the drop down menu in blue the member's user name so that it will turn red; otherwise it will appear as @MsVee and she will not receive notification. :)
sniksnak
Former Staff

Unread post by sniksnak »

Is it possible to allow anonfiles or box.com links.
Zippyshare is what most of us use with no problem, but you can use other file hosts. I have accounts with several others - sendspace, tusfiles, and box.com. But please don't use anonfiles. Many members have complained about malware when using that host. I did have one issue on my laptop, but when I placed the zip file on a thumb drive, the anti-virus on my PC said it was clean. I accepted the file only because the PC program is a paid program, whereas the program on my laptop is shareware. Yet too many members reported malware when they downloaded from anonfiles. That's one reason that host is mentioned to NOT use in the Board Rules.
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
cheapo
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by cheapo »

When I lost my job in 2017, my family of avid readers designated me the family librarian. It seems that parents, siblings, in laws, in short everyone in my extended family loved to read and had switched to ebooks to avoid the paperback clutter. Since I had a lot of free time then, I got a free 50GB cloud account, combined and organized all their individual libraries into one massive cloud library accessible to all of them, having each book in both ePub and AZW3 formats so that they could be downloaded ready to go for almost all devices, as well as "fleshing out" their series and authors works, and bringing them up to date. ebookoz was (and is) a godsend to me in these endeavors. Though the vast majority of our family seems to like mysteries and thrillers, there is a smaller contingent with more diverse tastes -- young adult, romantic vampire, sci-fi, etc, making finding everything for everyone (and all the concomitant requests) quite challenging. When I found this site, I had a ton of holes and family requests to fill, and was one of the ones requesting many books daily on this site (I think I was one of the 8 a day guys for a while), as well as actively searching other sites for ebooks as well. I was happy to add in ebookoz requests from other members into my searches, and was able to find quite a few for them. As time went by, seemingly simultaneously, the holes in our library got filled, and my ebook sources no longer offered most of the books requested here. I have, except for a few missing books which I keep re-requesting every few weeks, pretty much backfilled our family library, and now only try to keep everything up to date. Again, seemingly simultaneously I started a new job which very significantly cut down on my available time to work on the library. While I still keep looking for requested ebooks by the members of ebookoz, my sources don't seem to have a very high percentage of them, unlike in the past when I could find most of them. I think my sources were mostly older books, but many of the current requests are new releases which I can't find. I wish to thank Suse, and the ebookoz community as a whole for all of their help with our family library, my entire family is truly grateful.
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by asolitaryblue »

Another bad apple here. :( As another person said, I have a huge reading wish list but not enough money to fulfill it and when I stumbled across this site, it was a God send so I started making requests every single day. I realize it was rude and greedy of me and I can only apologize to the community and promise to do better and make requests in moderation.
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde
Bonjoey

Unread post by Bonjoey »

Might I make a suggestion. If you like an author you may want to consider downloading his or her "collection" from the Latest Books forum. They can be as little as 3-4 books in some up to a couple of hundred in others. That would keep you busy for a while and not bombard the hunters so often. Probably not PC for some but there you go.
SwampQueen

Unread post by SwampQueen »

Thank you so much for the mail, the new limit is completely reasonable. I am hoping to be able to help and upload my books now I have purchased a VPN (for this alone) hopefully I have someo of the titles people want.

Thank you again for all your hard work.
ana451

Unread post by ana451 »

Honestly, the policy is still incredibly generous. Even a book a week would be great!
Middleton Patritia
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by Middleton Patritia »

I visit the site every day I also help members in my book group book to read books.I myself am an avid reader I usually have at least 4 books going at a time.My 2 nooks and 2 on my phone.I started reading as a child and till this day I'm still addicted. Since digital started I donated all my books to my neighborhood library