calibre

Get help and suggestions from other members
LarsFaarup

calibre

Unread post by LarsFaarup »

Hi!
I use calibre to manage my ebook library, a really fantastic software!
Sometimes a book belongs to 2 series, and I would like to register it so, like I can register 2 or more autors.
Anyone has a suggestion?
yours hopefully :mrgreen:
sniksnak
Former Staff

Re: calibre

Unread post by sniksnak »

I no longer list by series in Calibre, simply because of the sheer volume of books I have in my library. I catalog mine by year and author. First by author, then by year of my finding them. I stopped the series listing when I hit 15,000 books. It's much easier to catalog by author and year when one has an excess of 32,000 ebooks.
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
cheapo
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by cheapo »

Everyone does it differently. After experimenting for a while, here is how I do it now(and I have a ton of books on multiple Calibre libraries). Though I have different calibre libraries, each is organized the same way: For each book, I put the Series in the metadata title like this:

Series Name 01 - Book Name
Series Name 02 - Book Name
Series Name 03 - Book Name (I always use two digits so that they line up, otherwise the 10 and 20's are out of order)

When I'm done, I first sort by title, then I resort by author. I end up with all the books sorted by author, but the series and title are visible and in order. For books in two series, I tried

First Series Name 01 and Second Series Name 07 - Book Name

But that got too messy, so now I just make a second copy of the book

First Series Name 01 - Same Book Name
Second Series Name 07 - Same Book Name

I end up with the book being listed in correct order in each series, and can still see the title of the book. I also unbundle all Omnibuses or multibook sets and list each one separately, makes sharing and searching much easier because each book's title appears as a separate entry. This is what it ends up looking like :

https://www6.zippyshare.com/v/chapfdnh/file.html
oel_3

Unread post by oel_3 »

Thanks for sharing Snik and Cheapo. I got some pointers in organizing my books.
sniksnak
Former Staff

You're welcome. Through the years I've organized and re-organized dozens of ways. The way I'm doing it now works for me. :)
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
julie dee scott

Unread post by julie dee scott »

Thanks, Suse. I had read your post at the top of the board. I downloaded Calibre some weeks ago. I love it. I had downloaded the pc Kindle a long time ago when your Craig told me about it. I have not used it as a reader. That was how I kept up with what books I have, but the only way you can organize is put your books into collections. It was easier than looking at my Amazon account. We have so many dust storms that our wifi connection is iffy on any given day. Then last night I read your post over on Brian's board. I had no idea that Amazon could take back books that you had bought and paid for. About more ten people have posted that it has happened to them, too. That blows me away. I also deleted the books I had in my Kindle Paperwhite except for the book I am currently reading as you suggested. They are not getting back any of my books when my husband has to go out every day to work so I can have money for my book fixes. So glad you told me about this program. Danny and I will be up next month. Cannot wait to see you again. Love ya!

PS: Meant to ask you, did you replace your Kindle? Do you still have Daisy's Nook?
sniksnak
Former Staff

So glad you've found Calibre such a boon, Julie. As I've told you ... it's a gem of a program.
Meant to ask you, did you replace your Kindle? Do you still have Daisy's Nook?
Well, I didn't ... Rosie did! She felt so sorry for me when I told her I'd found Craig's Kindle where I'd left it out on my bistro table. I forgot all about it, looked for it the next day and then my heart sank. Broke my heart since it was his. I'd come in for a nap the day before and woke up to a downpour. I rushed out to get it, turned it off, let it dry for a couple days, then called Amazon. They said to power it back on, which I did. They said if nothing happened, it was too damaged to repair. It did absolutely zilch. 😿 Sooo, two days later, UPS delivered a Kindle Paperwhite. A total surprise! She's such a sweetheart to the critters and me. (She sent down a new scratching post recently [my favorite brand and style that Jackson Galaxy advertises] for my Kiddens.)

I hated the Nook, so I transferred all Daisy's books to my laptop. Then Alice (the teeny little lady - she's now 88 years old - who was at Carolyn's the last time you visited) from my church's book club wanted a hand held reader, so I gave it to her. Since all she had was the Kindle PC reader, she thinks it's the best thing since canned beer. And, it meant so much to her since she and Daisy had been friends for over 40 years, almost as long as I've known Daisy and her.

Looking SO forward to seeing you and the Dano! Luv ya, too. ❤️
Delete = destroy.
Par
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Par »

Does anyone know how to convert an ebook they purchased, from kobo in this case, from the number of xhtml files (each chapter is a different file) it comes in, to a single epub or mobi file? The ebook, does not have DRM attached, though if someone knows how to deal with that, i would love to know as well.
sniksnak
Former Staff

I don't have a clue, Hon, since I have a Kindle. I did locate this on the net by doing a Google search. Hope it helps.

https://www.leawo.org/tutorial/how-to-c ... -1372.html
Delete = destroy.
Middleton Patritia
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by Middleton Patritia »

Thank u very much Caoimhe for informing And u are right it was very easy to use