How Did You Come Up With Your User Name?

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
birdofhermes

Re: How Did You Come Up With Your User Name?

Unread post by birdofhermes »

Mine is one part obscure, one part silly - shaken, not stirred :D

"The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame" is a line from The Ripley Scroll, a Mediaeval manuscript, which purportedly describes the process of creating the philosopher's stone. Sir George Ripley, a prominent 15th century alchemist, was convinced that in the course of his experiments he succeeded in creating that Holy Grail of all alchemists, the philosopher's stone. Naturally, he wanted to commit his findings to paper (or, rather, parchment). However, he didn't fancy the idea of giving his discovery away to all and sundry, so he put the process down in cryptic verse. So cryptic, in fact, that no one has been able to decipher it in it's entirety to this day :mrgreen: . The Ripley Scroll may be useless as a practical guide, but it possesses a literary merit. It boasts some beautiful lines and powerful imagery. The symbolism of a bird that subdues itself by ripping off its own wings has just stuck with me.

And now to the silly part. My lifelong nickname is Hen (derivative from Helena). One day it crossed my mind that poor hens, much like Ripley's bird of Hermes, have lost their wings to domesticity, so to speak. And thus, thanks to a very tenuous and whimsical association, my username was born :lol: . Of course, it doesn't really make much sense, it's just a bit of a private joke.

Great topic, sniksnak! I really loved reading everybody's answers.
sniksnak
Former Staff

Unread post by sniksnak »

birdofhermes wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:53 pm ::: snipped :::
"The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame" is a line from The Ripley Scroll, a Mediaeval manuscript, which purportedly describes the process of creating the philosopher's stone. Sir George Ripley, a prominent 15th century alchemist, was convinced that in the course of his experiments he succeeded in creating that Holy Grail of all alchemists, the philosopher's stone. Naturally, he wanted to commit his findings to paper (or, rather, parchment). However, he didn't fancy the idea of giving his discovery away to all and sundry, so he put the process down in cryptic verse. So cryptic, in fact, that no one has been able to decipher it in it's entirety to this day :mrgreen: . The Ripley Scroll may be useless as a practical guide, but it possesses a literary merit. It boasts some beautiful lines and powerful imagery. The symbolism of a bird that subdues itself by ripping off its own wings has just stuck with me.
::: snipped :::
I'm so glad you chimed in on this thread! I'm very familiar with that line. I immediately thought of it the day you registered.

My Daddy had a photographic memory. He could quote verbatim the entire book. I loved to hear him quote that one and the The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. Oh but to hear him recite Evangeline again! He's been gone over 27 years but I can still hear his deep, rumbling voice, his laughter and his whistling as he worked around the house.

The old Waldenbooks store that was a few blocks from my little house I owned for 15+ years before Craig and I married carried those little miniature books. They displayed them on a revolving rack at the register. I had a neighbor back in the early 80s build me a little hanging wall bookcase just for those adorable little books. I bought both The Ripley Scroll and The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. I located a digital copy of The Rubaiyat and though The Ripley Scroll is available in digital format, I haven't found a copy of it yet. I've been looking for it a good 5 or 6 years.

Thanks a mil for sharing! You've brought back many wonderful memories. :)
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
birdofhermes

Unread post by birdofhermes »

Wow, how wonderful is that?! And here I thought I was the only oddball revelling in hoary, obscure and slightly bizarre stuff like that :D
Thanks for sharing the story about your dad - it made my day. It is no mean feat to be able to recite all of The Ripley Scroll by heart :shock:
shining starts

Unread post by shining starts »

my username comes from my free teaching classes for street children here my fb page link, but now i am inactive on social media :)
https://web.facebook.com/shiningstarsontheroad/
OldKidsBookReader

Unread post by OldKidsBookReader »

Let's see... I feel old but I read books written for kids...

:D
Booklover

Unread post by Booklover »

shining starts wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:09 am my username comes from my free teaching classes for street children here my fb page link, but now i am inactive on social media :)
https://web.facebook.com/shiningstarsontheroad/

Respect, Shining Starts <3 <3 <3
Please respect the admins, moderators, hunters and all the members who are posting books here.
Happy reading!

"Mother" of 2 rescue cats on earth.
"Mother" of one very special cat in heaven. ❤️️ G❤️️
shining starts

Unread post by shining starts »

@ Booklover Thank You :)
tempertemper

Unread post by tempertemper »

My user name is inspired by an awesome music album "temper temper" by Bullet for my Valentine. I love music as much as i love reading books(before I go to sleep), So, to register on this site, i decided to take tempertemper as my username. Now it is connect to me, books, and music all at the same time. I am happy to become a part of this beautiful community.
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by siberian202angel »

tempertemper wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:14 pm My user name is inspired by an awesome music album "temper temper" by Bullet for my Valentine. I love music as much as i love reading books(before I go to sleep), So, to register on this site, i decided to take tempertemper as my username. Now it is connect to me, books, and music all at the same time. I am happy to become a part of this beautiful community.
I knew someone with that name on LiveJournal once. :) I'm not entirely sure, but I think hers was derived from the TV show "Bones" where Seeley Booth exclaimed "Whoa, temper, temper" to Brennan when she flung off the rails in one of her earlier seasons.

My username has been with me for over a decade, in some variances or other. I am very much a snow child and way back when I first registered for a social network, my favorite song was "Siberia" by the Backstreet Boys. Somehow it stuck...
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
"There was death at its beginning, as there would be death again at its end."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you fail, you'll land among the stars."
tempertemper

Unread post by tempertemper »

siberian202angel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:52 am
tempertemper wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:14 pm My user name is inspired by an awesome music album "temper temper" by Bullet for my Valentine. I love music as much as i love reading books(before I go to sleep), So, to register on this site, i decided to take tempertemper as my username. Now it is connect to me, books, and music all at the same time. I am happy to become a part of this beautiful community.
I knew someone with that name on LiveJournal once. :) I'm not entirely sure, but I think hers was derived from the TV show "Bones" where Seeley Booth exclaimed "Whoa, temper, temper" to Brennan when she flung off the rails in one of her earlier seasons.

My username has been with me for over a decade, in some variances or other. I am very much a snow child and way back when I first registered for a social network, my favorite song was "Siberia" by the Backstreet Boys. Somehow it stuck...
Nice to meet you @siberian202ange. It is really good to meet someone who love book and music. ;)
autiereader

Unread post by autiereader »

I'm autistic (diagnosed a year ago) and I love reading. Not very original, I know :D
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by AddictedToReading »

autiereader wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:57 pm I'm autistic (diagnosed a year ago) and I love reading. Not very original, I know :D
I think it is perfect :D
If you download books, please consider
becoming a supporter
:D - Thanks everyone, this site would not be able to survive without the continuous support of members like you

Donate Here Image
autiereader

Unread post by autiereader »

Aw thank you! [mention]AddictedToReading[/mention]
hecatereads

Unread post by hecatereads »

Uh. I never really thought about this. It's the second account in the web where I used this username.
Also, it just so happened that Hecate (the ancient Greek goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts and necromancy), was visiting my thoughts, and was mentioned in the book I was currently reading at the time I was filling up the registration form of this site.
Apologies. I'll be back by June or July 2022. By then, I might be able to juggle life by then. Lol.
Flyer

Unread post by Flyer »

My username has to do with the fact that I am an avid cyclist, and at times can fly along :) :) ;)
However I also like to fly through the books i read :lol: