COVID 19 How is everyone holding up?

Chat about anything non-ebook.
halfwaytowhole
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Re: COVID 19 How is everyone holding up?

Unread post by halfwaytowhole »

Here in Canada 8,484 total cases..1,036 new cases today. 7,211 active and 1178 recovered and 95 deaths.We have provinces here in Canada,, my province has 1966 confirmed cases 1,399 active, 534 resolved and 33 deaths.Like places all over the world we are to stay in except for essentials like food or medication.Far to many businesses were deemed essential and many of us are still working.The government is promising financial aid which many people are skeptical they will ever receive.Outdoor activity is shutting down more this week as people are taking kids to parks,beaches and places where social distance isn't being kept.It is getting more strict each day.Please stay safe!!
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by asolitaryblue »

So after a trickle of new cases each day, including two days where we had none, yesterday there were 11 new cases. The country is bracing itself for the steep upward swing of the curve we've seen in other countries. I feel a gnawing sense of anxiety at the pit of my stomach that I cant get rid of, no matter how much I try to relax.
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde
sniksnak
Former Staff

Unread post by sniksnak »

I know how you feel, dear blue. The sad thing is the stress caused by this pandemic is NOT what some of us older folk with underlying health issues need.

Our governor issued another stay at home order extending to the EOM. As of noon today, Louisiana's stats are:

Positive cases 6,424
Deaths 274
60 out of 64 parishes are affected

Caddo Parish where I live has had 7 deaths.

1 death among individuals below 18
1 deaths among individuals ages 18-29
8 deaths among individuals ages 30-39
15 deaths among individuals ages 40-49
40 deaths among individuals ages 50-59
45 deaths among individuals ages 60-69
163 deaths among individuals ages 70+

53 positive cases among individuals below 18
632 positive cases among individuals ages 18-29
1,027 positive cases among individuals ages 30-39
1,228 positive cases among individuals ages 40-49
1,334 positive cases among individuals ages 50-59
1,138 positive cases among individuals ages 60-69
1,012 positive cases among individuals ages 70+

Please heed the advice of your officials. Stay at home, stay safe and be healthy. Prayers and healing thoughts going out to all. 🙏 ❤️️
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

I know what you mean. I have my 85 year old grandfather at home with us. He has kidney failure and diabetes. We have tried to keep all this news from him because he tends to get agitated easily and that's not good for him.

Every week he needs to go to hospital for dialysis. My parents used to take him but since the covid-19 pandemic, my husband and I have been taking him. My parents also have high blood pressure and diabetes so I felt that at least we are younger and healthier and can handle being infected better. We have to go again this Saturday and honestly, I'm scared to take him this time, both for his sake and for our's. We've had our third death and already two hospitals had to be shut down because two people were hiding out at home with covid-19 after returning from abroad (without going into quarantine as required by the government) until they were too sick. Then, without disclosing that they had traveled abroad or might have covid-19, they went into these private hospitals, even though we have 15 specific public hospitals around the country where we are supposed to go to because they are equipped to handle covid-19. Now doctors, nurses, patients, visitors, everyone had to be quarantined and the hospital shut down. How selfish is that?

I'm scared that there might be more such selfish monsters out there who might choose to go to the hospital that I'm taking my grandfather and infect him and us.
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by siberian202angel »

According to Johns Hopkins, Germany has 84,794 cases of infections and the death toll has risen to 1,107.
I am grateful that my country tests like there's no tomorrow - about half a million tests per week - and many experts attribute that fact to the low number of deaths. I feel shite calling that number "low", because every death is one death too many - but compared to the overall infected cases and compared to other countries, it is.

We don't have curfews, exactly - and that's beginning to be a problem. People are fed up with being cooped up inside and more and more people start to act rebellious - after all, we don't have a curfew, just a stay at home order. Several states have begun to fine people for going outside for stuff other than what's allowed and also for clustering in greater numbers than just two - and spring in full swing isn't exactly helping people to stay sensible.

Public life is still mostly shut down and this will be kept up until after Easter, when the situation will be assessed anew. I just wish people were more considerate and heed the advice of the authorities...
Stay safe, people - I'm sending out virtual hugs and prayers to all of you! 🤗 🙏
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
"There was death at its beginning, as there would be death again at its end."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you fail, you'll land among the stars."
sniksnak
Former Staff

I truly hate to get the daily alert from the governor's office. We had a 42% spike in positive cases overnight Wednesday (reported to us yesterday). This morning stats for yesterday just came in a few minutes ago:

Positive cases: 10,297
Deaths: 370
Out of 64 Parishes affected: 61

1 death among individuals below 18
4 deaths among individuals ages 18-29
10 deaths among individuals ages 30-39
21 deaths among individuals ages 40-49
43 deaths among individuals ages 50-59
47 deaths among individuals ages 60-69
184 deaths among individuals ages 70+

65 positive cases among individuals below 18
878 positive cases among individuals ages 18-29
1,454 positive cases among individuals ages 30-39
1,714 positive cases among individuals ages 40-49
1,929 positive cases among individuals ages 50-59
1,640 positive cases among individuals ages 60-69
1,470 positive cases among individuals ages 70+

The top five countries in order of confirmed cases are:

257,773 US
117,710 Spain
115,242 Italy
89,451 Germany
82,509 China

The first case of COVID-19 in the United States was reported over two months ago, in mid-January. Since then, the US has reported over 257,000 cases, including over 6,500 deaths. Globally there are 1,056,777 confirmed cases and 56,767 deaths.

Please, Gang, I can't stress this enough. Stay safe and healthy by being a good neighbor, stay inside, and keep social distancing. We shall overcome. Sending out prayers and healing thoughts to all. 🙏 ❤️️
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
Booklover

Unread post by Booklover »

Belgium is 11th worldwide if you look at the "confirmed cases" (50 percent of tested people turns out to be positive). About 3000 patients are tested on a daily basis. We should be testing 10000 people a day.

If you are living in a retirement home and get sick , bad luck. We are not transferring you to hospital anymore. It's up to God to decide if you'll live or die...

We are 6th when it comes to deaths/1M population (after San Marino, Italy, Spain, Andorra and France).

Still our dear government seems to have just one concern: when can we reopen shops? When can we reopen schools?

I'm disgusted.
Please respect the admins, moderators, hunters and all the members who are posting books here.
Happy reading!

"Mother" of 2 rescue cats on earth.
"Mother" of one very special cat in heaven. ❤️️ G❤️️
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by AddictedToReading »

Booklover wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:09 pm About 3000 patients are tested on a daily basis. We should be testing 10000 people a day.
Here in South Africa we are demanding more tests....only 1700 test a day and only 50 361 have been done since the outbreak

Officially we have 1505 confirmed cases but I can't help to wonder what it would be if they actually do start to test more
If you download books, please consider
becoming a supporter
:D - Thanks everyone, this site would not be able to survive without the continuous support of members like you

Donate Here Image
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Our government hasn't even started sample testing. We only test those who shows symptoms and those who came in contact with confirmed cases. This is why our numbers are so low. I'm sure there are plenty more out there who are either asymptomatic, just thinking it's a cold or even in hiding.

As at 03/04/2020
8 new cases within the last 24 hours
159 total infected
124 active cases
250 under observation in hospital
24 recovered and discharged
4 deaths

― Oscar Wilde
sniksnak
Former Staff

As upset as we are with some of our governmental officials and as serious as this pandemic is when learning of all the gloom and doom, it's important, I believe, to still have a little laughter in our lives. It's good to know that a little comedy can be with us during our lock downs and that people are talking advantage of their creativity during their social distancing.

A neighbor posted this on our neighborhood watch board. I just had to share. 😹 😹

Delete = destroy.
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by siberian202angel »

😂😂
Humor is so very needed in this situation, thanks for brightening my morning with a laugh.
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
"There was death at its beginning, as there would be death again at its end."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you fail, you'll land among the stars."
sniksnak
Former Staff

My attempt to place a wee smile on everyone's face failed miserably, so back to the gloom and doom. 😒

Louisiana stats as of noon today:

Infected: 13,.010
Deaths: 477
Deaths in my parish: 19
Out of 64 parishes infected: 61
Delete = destroy.
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by AddictedToReading »

:lol: :lol: We can only dream sitting like a King on the loo with a cigarette

Toilet paper is worth more than gold now and they banned the sale of cigarettes
If you download books, please consider
becoming a supporter
:D - Thanks everyone, this site would not be able to survive without the continuous support of members like you

Donate Here Image
Booklover

Unread post by Booklover »

I prefer this one, dear Sniksnak . Sorry, I don't smoke :lol: ❤️️

Please respect the admins, moderators, hunters and all the members who are posting books here.
Happy reading!

"Mother" of 2 rescue cats on earth.
"Mother" of one very special cat in heaven. ❤️️ G❤️️
sniksnak
Former Staff

Booklover wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:13 pm I prefer this one, dear Sniksnak . Sorry, I don't smoke :lol: ❤️️
Oh, I'm snagging that for my neighborhood watch board! Cute!! Thanks for the share! 😂 🤗 <--- Strictly a virtual hug; saw on the news where Floridians are saying to stay one alligator length (6 feet is average length of full grown gators) from each other. Loved it!!! I nearly choked to death when I saw that while eating popcorn! 🍿
Well, I'm an ex-smoker (smoked for 30 years) though I don't miss it at all now. First 5 years after I quit, the only time I wanted one was when someone first lit up. I could've strangled them then smoked that cigarette. 😂
Delete = destroy.