COVID 19 How is everyone holding up?

Chat about anything non-ebook.
sniksnak
Former Staff

Re: COVID 19 How is everyone holding up?

Unread post by sniksnak »

Louisiana will move to Phase One under the White House COVID-19 guidance this Friday, May 15, which removes the Stay at Home order for Louisianans and allows additional businesses to open under strict occupancy, protection and social distancing guidelines, Gov John Bel Edwards announced earlier today (Monday). High risk individuals should continue to stay at home, except for essential activities, like getting food or medical care.

Since I'm one of the latter, the only things I will be doing is:

#1. Renewing my driving license since it expired on my birthday last month. Unfortunately, since the order will be lifted on a Friday and the DMV is open on weekdays and closed on weekends, I have only 3 days to get down there because a penalty will be enforced after the 20th. Argh, they didn't extend the penalty free period after we went under our Stay at Home order.
#2. Get my car inspected as soon as they let inspection stations reopen.
#3. Continue placing online grocery orders and picking them up when the stores text me they are ready.
#4. As soon as my doctors and dentist call for follows ups with doctors and a 6 month dental checkup (cardiologist, internist and dental appointments were all cancelled during the stay at home order), I'll be going to those.
#5. Though it's strongly urged to wear face masks, most of Louisiana hasn't thrown folk into jail or inflicted fines on those who don't. However, since I'm high-risk, I will be wearing mine whenever in public.

I will continue to attend webcam Sunday Mass at the Cathedral of St. John Berchmans of Shreveport since my parish church is closed for Mass until further notice.

I don't have to worry about my prescriptions because mine are on automatic mail order with a 3 month supply of each script.

Our stats as of noon today:

Positive 32,050
Deaths 2,281
Tested 218,118
Deaths in my parish, Caddo 135

Gang, don't let your guard down if you are no longer under stay at home orders. It's still dangerous and do wear a mask when in public. Stay safe. Prayers going out to all, Suse 💕
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
cmcmonteiro

Unread post by cmcmonteiro »

Brazil is the Top3 in the World about the pandemic COVID-19 and day after day more and more people die and the situation is very dangerous.....
I don't know what to think, but I'm very worry about this pandemic and the isolation go until May 31....
Overcoming boundaries is challenging and Magical
SwampQueen

Unread post by SwampQueen »

Booklover wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:58 pm @SwampQueen

Thank you for all you do! ❤️️❤️️❤️️
Thank you so much.

I am now back at work and the UK government has honestly been ridiculous. I am terrified of the lives that will be lost by them not being safe. So very sad. Hope you are all well
sniksnak
Former Staff

Image Gang, I was asked by a member did I know which country has the most covid positive cases. It's the US, but here is the link that I check daily:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

If you've been paying attention, China's figures have barely changed since mid-March. What BS! 😡
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by siberian202angel »

Germany's case numbers are still rising, but much more moderately. As of 7:30 am this morning, we have 175,233 infected and a death toll of 7,897.
The problem is, I think, that people are still underestimating this pandemic. Lockdown has been lifted and public life is back to mostly normal with a number of hygiene protocols implemented - but people are pissed. Down south many have protested against the ongoing restrictions of their human rights, flocking together by the hundreds, if not thousands. Government officials keep urging to stay cautious and that we're not out of the woods yet, but the warnings fall on many deaf ears.
I've seen a rather sobering graph the other day, comparing this pandemic to the great Spanish Flu of 1918 - the second wave was by far the worst and we're definitely not even there yet. Sometimes I think impatience will be humanity's downfall ... and then there are small local stories of how well people keep caring for each other lifting my spirits again.
It's a trying time for all of us and I will continue to pray for each and every one of us...
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
"There was death at its beginning, as there would be death again at its end."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you fail, you'll land among the stars."
sniksnak
Former Staff

I've been offline since Saturday of last week because we had 10 straight days of horrific storms. One of the ones that hit us Saturday struck my router. So much for the 6 month old surge protector. Something else to buy, dang it. 🙄 I immediately called my provider knowing I was up Poop Creek without a paddle since that was a three day weekend for us in the States - Memorial Day, a federal holiday, meaning that the replacement wouldn't be shipped until Tuesday. To add insult to injury, AT&T charged me for the dang thing to the tune of 115US$. First time I've ever had to pay for a router or anything else with these people. *sigh*

I thought it was Christmas as late as UPS ran Thursday night. It was well after 9pm. I grabbed my mask and had the door open before he was on the porch. I thanked him profusely for making it that night and told him to put the package on the top step of the porch. That was about 8 feet from where I was standing at the door. He was such a cheerful little guy at that time of night. I know he was exhausted. He said he had another 8 miles to go with deliveries, the poor soul.

It didn't take me but a couple of minutes to hook it up, but I still couldn't connect. I called AT&T and the little gal had to re-configure something at her end since I have a new laptop that the router wasn't recognizing. In less than 10 minutes I was up and running. I did behind the scene work - killing off an hour's worth of spammers. I had to wait to finish the other 24 pages until today (well, it's now Saturday, a new day).

I had to check in with one of my doctors. He hadn't seen me since he released me from the hospital in March. I'll be busy catching up with my cardiologist and dentist, too. All those appointments had been cancelled due to the Stay at Home order. By the time I got online, it was 4:30pm Central time. I finally finished up with banning all those spammers and then went through the threads.

Many thanks to [mention]caoimhe[/mention] and [mention]AddictedToReading[/mention] for all their hard work handling all those requests. Thanks also to [mention]Aver[/mention], [mention]Booklover[/mention] and [mention]carl.d[/mention] for helping out. If I missed anyone, it certainly isn't intentional. Thanks so very, very much for helping out, All. Y'all are the best!

The statistics for Louisiana as of May 29th are as follows:

Positive cases 38,802
Deaths 2,661
Tested 366,664
Deaths in Caddo Parish where I live has stayed the same for over a week, thank goodness! 155

Stay safe and healthy. Love and huggles, Suse
Delete = destroy.
Booklover

Unread post by Booklover »

So glad to hear from you Suse! I was getting worried here. Lots of love ❤️️
Please respect the admins, moderators, hunters and all the members who are posting books here.
Happy reading!

"Mother" of 2 rescue cats on earth.
"Mother" of one very special cat in heaven. ❤️️ G❤️️
sniksnak
Former Staff

Thanks, Lindsay. 🤗 I read your response yesterday, but had quite a bit of catching up to do and, wouldn't ya know it, forgot to come back and respond once I finished. Sorry, Kiddo. On the other paw, so glad to be back with you and the Gang! 😻

Ok, Gang ... bear with me. I'm not going off-topic, but you know me. I'm long-winded and eventually get to the point. As my dear neighbor, Scott, sez interrupting me when I'm off on one of my long spiels, "Yeah, yeah, Suse. Does this tale have a point?" Talk about pots calling kettles black! That boy takes 30 minutes to get to his point! Image

For those who don't know this... Y'all remember the app/web service called Read It Later? I loved it! When Mozilla took it over (Yay!) and called it Pocket, I kept right on using it. I loved it from the old days to now because it's not a bookmarking service. Its creators view it as a reading list where you keep track of the many online posts you want to read. Once you finish an article, you can either archive or delete it. It’s well-known and widely used, so you can trust that the app is safe. It’s available for iOS, Android, Mac, and more, and it also has a web interface that you can use in Firefox (Yay!), Chrome, Edge, or any other browser. What is more awesome is that the current version of Firefox now has it built in (Yay!). Can y'all tell I'm a die-hard Mozilla fan??? 😜 Now on to my story.

Some days before my router was fried, I came across an article, "How the Rich Reacted to the Bubonic Plague Has Eerie Similarities to Today’s Pandemic" that I wanted to read but didn't have the time, so I Pocketed it for later. I read it during the wee hours this morning and want to share it with you. If anyone is interested in the book that is mentioned entitled The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio, I don't have it though I certainly can locate a copy of it. I do have Collected Works of Giovanni Boccaccio which includes it.

This article was certainly an eye-opener. Hope y'all enjoy it.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how- ... ket-newtab
Delete = destroy.
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by asolitaryblue »

Glad to have you back, Suse! I have not visited the forum in a while. Sri Lanka has re-opened and I've gone back to work and had to work through a massive backlog.

Everything here is slowly going back to normal, but with face masks and social distancing being enforced with vaying degrees of strictness depending on the establishment. To be on the safe side, I behave as if everyone I encounter is infected. Better safe than sorry.
sniksnak wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:41 pm
Some days before my router was fried, I came across an article, "How the Rich Reacted to the Bubonic Plague Has Eerie Similarities to Today’s Pandemic" that I wanted to read but didn't have the time, so I Pocketed it for later. I read it during the wee hours this morning and want to share it with you. If anyone is interested in the book that is mentioned entitled The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio, I don't have it though I certainly can locate a copy of it. I do have Collected Works of Giovanni Boccaccio which includes it.

This article was certainly an eye-opener. Hope y'all enjoy it.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how- ... ket-newtab
I read the article you recommended and it's really spot-on. At the begin of this pandemic, I read articles about how covid-19 was "the great equalizer" because everyone was getting it and there was no cure for it etc etc but I think a few months in, it's become obvious that, like with most things, the poor and disadvantaged are more impacted.

Those of higher income are more likely to work in places where it is possible to work from home (white collar jobs). They do not have multi-generational families all crammed into one house. They have access to better healthcare and are therefore more healthy to begin with and do not have the co-morbidities which increase the risk of the disease being fatal. The list is very long. I read a really good article about it but now I can't find it. If you re interested, I found a couple of short but interesting articles which get the point across better than I did:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7224347/

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/05/co ... lizer.html
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde
sniksnak
Former Staff

I certainly hope all is well with you members regarding Covid. Our governor, John Bel Edwards, has decided not to allow Louisiana to enter into the less-restrictive Phase 3 of reopening the economy. “This remains a very contagious disease,” he said during Monday’s news conference. It only takes a few people to change the state’s trajectory. As of Monday, June 22, there were 50,239 confirmed cases and 3,004 deaths in the state. Between 25 and 30% of people who have COVID-19 have not been tested. It’s still a very serious situation. Stay safe, Y'all. ❤️️
Delete = destroy.
carl.d
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by carl.d »

Our distance has now been reduced to 1 meter. All pubs and restaurants can open on the 4th July
Que Será, Será
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by AddictedToReading »

Here by us even the hairdressers and Tattoo Parlors are opening.....the worry is that our confirmed cases are climbing at a rapid rate each day....

It took 95 days for South Africa to record its first 50 000 Covid cases. In the last 14 days, that number has doubled to more than 100 000....

Some people are still carrying on as if there is no virus....
If you download books, please consider
becoming a supporter
:D - Thanks everyone, this site would not be able to survive without the continuous support of members like you

Donate Here Image
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Life has been largely back to normal for a few weeks, save the hygiene protocols implemented everywhere - some making things easier, others making things harder.
However, after the numbers were at their lowest beginning of June, they're rising again. Currently, it's 194,403 infections and 8,967 deaths. There have been several major outbreaks of mass infections at meat processing plants throughout the country, carrying the virus back into general population in several cases, but lockdown only get implemented where the numbers rise to a certain level per total citizens.

I keep shaking my head in disbelief when I hear certain people saying they simply want to test less so they see less infections. 🤦‍♀️ Living is easy with eyes closed, but that doesn't mean the virus isn't still running rampant. For all your sakes, I hope November brings much needed change...
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by asolitaryblue »

Hi everyone!

How are you all coping? I saw on the news that some countries are re-opening, while other countries re-opened and had to lock back down in a hurry. This virus seems to not be going away any time soon. Sri Lanka has completely lifted lockdown, though we are required to wear masks and social distance in public. All shops, restaurants and all other public places are open again. Business as usual. Schools started to re-open three weeks ago but they discovered a new cluster and closed back down in a hurry. My son's not been in school since March :( since he's only 4, it's no big deal but I can still feel that he's regressing somewhat. I try my best to home school since his nursery sends us worksheets and videos but I've discovered I'm not a natural teacher :D

I guess this virus is not going away any time soon.

I hope everyone is well and safe!
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

[mention]asolitaryblue[/mention], it's not easy around the globe ... but it is a different hardship for parents who are supposed to take over their child's education. It's been heatedly discussed in Germany and many people are unhappy with this part in particular. Some parents had to give up their jobs or take unpaid leave, just because one of them has to be there for the children - and, sort of reverting back to archaic role models - it's most often the mother who has to bear the brunt. Most governors are eying a return back to mostly normal after the fall break, but it won't be easy, as many teachers throughout Germany are often risk patients themselves and supposed to be self-isolating.

I, too, think that the final solution will be a working vaccine - normalcy won't return before we have some sort of defense against the virus. And as these things take time, I fully expect the year to continue as is.