What makes you stop reading a book?

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

What makes you stop reading a book?

Unread post by AddictedToReading »

I have an obsessive need to finish any book I start, It takes a truly awful book to make me stop reading and then I feel guilty.

When a book is finished it becomes a trophy. ....When it’s left half-finished it becomes an albatross...

How long will you go before saying enough is enough, and abandon a book?
If you download books, please consider
becoming a supporter
:D - Thanks everyone, this site would not be able to survive without the continuous support of members like you

Donate Here Image
Booklover

Re: What makes you stop reading a book?

Unread post by Booklover »

I never stop...
I finish every book I start, but it might take me ages.
Please respect the admins, moderators, hunters and all the members who are posting books here.
Happy reading!

"Mother" of 2 rescue cats on earth.
"Mother" of one very special cat in heaven. ❤️️ G❤️️
justjill!

Unread post by justjill! »

I give every book 50 pages. If I can’t get into it, I lay it down.
Don't worry, everything is going to be amazing!
sniksnak
Former Staff

Unread post by sniksnak »

Oh no, no, no, no. Never have I given up on a book, just like I've never given up on a "bad" dog or cat in my rescue work. There have been times, though not very many, that I'm sorry I didn't quit a book, but most of the time I'm pleasantly surprised and so glad I stuck it out. Otherwise, I would have missed a fairly good, if not remarkable story.
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
lynngtx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by lynngtx »

I've never given up on a book either. I'm just too nosey and have to know what happens at the end. I've a few friends who always read the last few pages first - I could never ever do that either.
With my luck, when my ship comes in, I'll be at the airport
Zeeshan303

Unread post by Zeeshan303 »

if its about book i never give up. once i start book reading i never read / watch book review so its keep my attention on book story when i read i feel am watching a movie in cinema <3
Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.
NGC300
Major eBook Poster
Major eBook Poster

Unread post by NGC300 »

Zeeshan303 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 am if its about book i never give up. once i start book reading i never read / watch book review so its keep my attention on book story when i read i feel am watching a movie in cinema <3
If you had been reading then you would not have asked "if its about book."
NGC300
Major eBook Poster
Major eBook Poster

Unread post by NGC300 »

Jj
Last edited by NGC300 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asolitaryblue
Donator/VIP
Donator/VIP

Unread post by asolitaryblue »

I used to hate giving up on a book so i used to just push through, even though it took ages and I hated it. Now I have a small baby and life (and free time) is just too short to slog through a book I am not enjoying. I do try to give every book a chance. I can't say I read X number of pages before I give up as some books take a bit longer to become any good but if I feel my heart sinking every time I pick up that book, I know it's time to part ways.
“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”

― Oscar Wilde
Heidi

Unread post by Heidi »

I have literally read thousands of books and like you, until recently, I always finished the book (even if it took me ages because it was so bad/boring - a nosy disposition also being part of the reason). I now have a new perspective and formula - My perspective is that life is too short to have to suffer through REALLY poor books - I read for entertainment and if I am not being entertained then I call it a day. The formula is that i make myself finish at least 40% of the book (in case it is just a slow to start book). Last year on my Goodreads tracker I read 325 books but of all those I only called it a day on 3 - and those were truly shockers.
vatvu1
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by vatvu1 »

It's a tricky question! I don't usually abandon books because I've had instances where I started out not enjoying a book and ended up loving it, so I always worry that if I put a book down I'll have missed something exciting. However! I think 100 pages is a totally fair amount and chance and if you're totally not into it, you shouldn't be ashamed of "giving up". There are SO MANY books out there and we'll never read them all (sadly) so moving on to something you might enjoy is always a good option.
Conradf2019

Unread post by Conradf2019 »

2 or 3 chapters is enough for me to decide to keep on reading or not.
There are already far too many books on my To-Read shelf, life’s too short to be reading mediocre books.

Currently reading the 800+ pages ‘The Forgetting Moon’
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

Conradf2019 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:04 am 2 or 3 chapters is enough for me to decide to keep on reading or not.
There are already far too many books on my To-Read shelf, life’s too short to be reading mediocre books.

Currently reading the 800+ pages ‘The Forgetting Moon’
by Brian Lee Durfee? How is it.....?

a prophecy of lies.... Magic,.... betrayal ....Sounds like my kind of book
becoming a supporter
:D - Thanks everyone, this site would not be able to survive without the continuous support of members like you

Donate Here Image
AddictedToReading
Site Admin
Site Admin

vatvu1 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:01 am It's a tricky question! I don't usually abandon books because I've had instances where I started out not enjoying a book and ended up loving it, so I always worry that if I put a book down I'll have missed something exciting. However! I think 100 pages is a totally fair amount and chance and if you're totally not into it, you shouldn't be ashamed of "giving up". There are SO MANY books out there and we'll never read them all (sadly) so moving on to something you might enjoy is always a good option.
I am busy with the strangest series....The first book was okay and then I lost interest but pick up again and now on the last part I have to almost force myself to end it....
becoming a supporter

Donate Here Image
giumatos

Unread post by giumatos »

It really depends on how I feel about the story and characters. For example it took me 7 months to read Sophie's Choice because Stingo was soooo annoying BUT it was a literature classic and I hadn't watched the movie and I had the need to know "what was her choice???" which while tragic as hell, was super-fast developed while the rest of the book took me ages.