Historical Fiction enthusiast looking for recommendations

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
buzzkill1916

Historical Fiction enthusiast looking for recommendations

Unread post by buzzkill1916 »

Hi, I'm looking for some new authors to try out. I love Simon Scarrow, Conn Iggulden, Bernard Cornwell and Robert Fabbri. Does anyone have any recommendations for other Historical Fiction writers? The Roman time period is probably my favourite but will try anything from ancient time period up to second world war. Thanks in advance.
sniksnak
Former Staff

Re: Historical Fiction enthusiast looking for recommendations

Unread post by sniksnak »

Did you do a search on Goodreads?

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/historical-fiction

Look to the right and there's a listing of genres (Related Genres) within Historical Fiction. Hope this helps. :)
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
Par
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Par »

The best books based in the Roman Republic is a series by Colleen Mccullough. It starts with a book called "First Man in Rome" about Gaius Marius and continues through Sulla, Pompey, Caesar, and Octavian, 7 books all told. They are incredibly good as well as being accurate. There are few things I dislike more than historical fiction which is inaccurate. Mary Renault also writes a series about Alexander the Great, which are very very good. James Clavell's Shogun is fantastic though not quite the same time period. Nicholas Guild also has a series based in ancient assyria which are incredibly entertaining. But i have to say my favourite historical novelist is Gary Jennings, and while he may not be for everyone due to some graphic depictions of both violence and sex, Aztec is probably my second favourite book of all time after The Count of Monte Cristo.
buzzkill1916

Unread post by buzzkill1916 »

Thanks for the replies folks. I read a few of the Colleen McCullough books when I was younger and enjoyed them so I'll look out the rest of the series. I've read the first 3 of Clavell's Asian Saga. I'm fascinated by Samurai and Japanese culture in general so they were cracking reads. I'll definitely check out the other 3 authors you mentioned. Thank you very much for the recommendations.
Par
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Par »

If you enjoy Samurai and Japanese history, David Kirk has a couple novels about Miyamoto Musashi called Child of Vengeance and Sword of Honour, both of which are very enjoyable. If you are looking for something a little more dense, then check out Eiji Yoshikawa and his novels called Musashi, and Taiko, again, both of which are really quite good. I have all the books i have mentioned as ebooks (either mobi or epub), so if you are interested make the requests the usual way and i can fill them.
oel_3

Unread post by oel_3 »

Herman Wouk's The Winds of War and War and Remembrance are the books I can recommend for WWII. It has a book inside a book. This series is a doorstopper that can accompany you for a week.
justjill!

Unread post by justjill! »

Don't worry, everything is going to be amazing!
sniksnak
Former Staff

Unread post by sniksnak »

Just a reminder - Y'all don't forget to check the Latest Books forum. There is a General Fiction category listed there. Now if this were MY board, I'd have a Historical Fiction category, but since it isn't... That General Fiction category isn't very extensive because we've had so few participants place their finds there, just as we had so few upload to those who left their desires in the eBook Request forum. Also, check the Collections category. I placed my Nicole Alexander books in there earlier today. I really, really like her historical fiction novels. She has only one that I haven't read yet, but I have requested it. So if anyone sees it, snag it, and upload for me. :) She also has a new title coming out next month.

With membership assistance, that forum could really grow. If anyone needs help in posting in it, send me a PM. It's quite simple once you get a hang of how to format the images and your text. For the book covers, I use Imgur which is free and where you can let them make thumbnails of your images so that they won't be so huge, especially if you have many books in a collection.

You post ONLY in the Latest Books forum; I come behind y'all and put them in the proper category according to what you have listed in the top line of the body of your topic. The old-fashioned librarian in me thinks there should be a synopsis on each book in small collections of less than a dozen, but hey! that's just me. Look at [mention]NGC300[/mention]'s posts in there - he's listed many and all are perfect entries.

Latest Books

General Fiction

Collections
Delete = destroy.
“You are only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with, so be brave enough to let go those who keep weighing you down.” ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour, Author
vatvu1
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by vatvu1 »

I would recommend looking through the Walter Scott Prize longlists! They choose the best (in the opinion of the judges) historical fiction books of every year.
Heidi

Unread post by Heidi »

It got really slated by some folk, but I absolutely love the Storm and Silence series by Robert Thier - I have to say I usually never pick a romance book written by a guy and dont read many historical fiction books but these are some of my absolute favorites - the first book very nearly won the Goodreads awards a few years ago which is outstanding since they guy is self-published and was up against some major authors for the same award.
Par
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Par »

Finished relatively recently Madeline Miller's Circe. Absolutely fantastic, the best book I have read this year, or at least tied with A Gentlemen in Moscow.
Par
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Par »

Another incredibly good historical fiction novel that I just finished is Helena P. Schrader's trilogy about Leonidas, of the 300 fame. A Boy of the Agoge, A Peerless Peer, and A Heroic King. They are up there as one of the best historical novels I have ever read.
Par
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Par »

I just finished and cannot recommend highly enough a series by David Black based in a British WW2 submarine. Incredibly interesting and enjoyable. The series starts with a book called "Gone to Sea in a Bucket".