Too short time to edit

Comments, questions and suggestions for eBookoz
LarsFaarup

Too short time to edit

Post by LarsFaarup » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Dear friends!
First of all, I'm greatfull for all the holes you plug in my collection.
Not all of us are online 24/7 - I for example lives on a boat and connect in an internet-cafe, so I suggest you give us 48 hours to edit typos and likes.
Yours Lars.
PS. Not all my requests are fullfilled - what happens to those?
Do you keep a backlog?
I guess, that you add a great deal of books to your collections every week, so do you chek them against old not filled requests?

sniksnak
Site Admin

Re: Too short time to edit

Post by sniksnak » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:49 pm

The rest of us aren't online 24/7 either. We have lives outside the internet - we have jobs, school, family, friends, church, volunteer work, doctor and dental appointments, etc. In fact, there are many threads that have errors that go several hours over the 24 hour period because only Administrators and Moderators can close a thread. Neither Smasher nor I can be online 24/7, so those threads are closed when we get online. The 24 hour rule will stand as is.

As is mentioned in the Board Rules, not all books can or will be fulfilled. Unless an author or publisher releases a title as a free download, all ebooks have to be purchased by someone and not everyone is willing to share ebooks that they have purchased. I have several thousand ebooks that my late husband and I have purchased through the years. I have shared all that I do have that have been requested and will continue to do so. I have an author that I pre-order before they are released, which means Amazon bills my charge card the day they are released - James Lee Burke. Off the top of my head, I can think of sharing one of his books on this board. Another reason why an ebook may not be found is because it may have been DMCAed. (DMCA - Digital Millennium Copyright Act) Many authors, publishers and agents actively seek out ebook sharing sites demanding their work be removed, which they are legally entitled to do so - after all, it is their intellect, or are representatives of the intellect. Sometimes as fast as an ebook is uploaded, it's removed from the net.

As far as checking through-out the 15 days on an open (not found) request, since the amount of requests are small enough for me to handle alone, I personally check each and every title before I go to bed at the end of my day. In the future as the board grows, I may have to do it every other day or so. Again, the above link states that after 15 days those requests are deleted. Once it's been deleted, it can be requested again. I mentioned to another member just today that I have two requests on the board that haven't yet been located. Each of them I've requested three different times. The Capri book will soon expire if not found. I'll request it a fourth time as though it's never been requested before because a deleted thread isn't recoverable when an Adm/Mod deletes it. If a regular member deletes it, it gone from public view, but we can still see it.

I'd like to take the opportunity to explain what a Re-Request is used for in this thread since I've had several PMs about them, including one today. The ONLY reason a Re-Request is used is when you've searched the board for a title (which should be done before each request you make), see it in the Fulfilled forum, and the link has expired. This is the sole reason you'd use a Re-Request in your subject line.

I hope this clarifies things. Enjoy your weekend! Warmly, Suse (sniksnak, Site Adm)

Edited to add spiel about DMCA.
I'm a bibliophile, ailurophile, cynophilist, and tadophile from the Deep South, USA.
“O, there is lovely to feel a book, a good book, firm in the hand, for its fatness holds rich promise, and you are hot inside to think of good hours to come.” ~ Richard Llewellyn, How Green Was My Valley

sniksnak
Site Admin

Re: Too short time to edit

Post by sniksnak » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:56 pm

Locking due to our spammer who has nothing to say except the same old tiresome posts over and over and over ...
I'm a bibliophile, ailurophile, cynophilist, and tadophile from the Deep South, USA.
“O, there is lovely to feel a book, a good book, firm in the hand, for its fatness holds rich promise, and you are hot inside to think of good hours to come.” ~ Richard Llewellyn, How Green Was My Valley